Dental crowns are commonly referred to as ‘dental caps’ as they cover the entire surface of a tooth. They are widely used as a restorative appliance to treat teeth that are either cracked, chipped, severely worn, badly discolored or weak due to external trauma or lack of nourishment.
What are the advantages of getting a crown?
- Crowns are made from tooth-colored ceramic material. They can be customized in such a way that they would perfectly mimic the appearance of the natural teeth in terms of color, texture, translucency, and contour.
- The material used to fabricate the crown is of dental-grade. It is highly durable, stain-resistant, and won’t break easily.
- Crowns can be used for a variety of purposes such as treating minor to deep cracks, reshaping chipped teeth, reducing the space between excessively spaced teeth, lengthening the crown of severely worn out teeth, etc.
- They are quite long-lasting. With proper care, they would easily last for several years.
- Since crowns are bonded on to the existing teeth, they allow us to save the natural tissues of the mouth as much as possible.
- Whenever a tooth is too weak to withstand the stresses while biting and chewing food, it may crumble. This is often encountered when a tooth has undergone root canal therapy. Crowns can help to hold the teeth intact and prevent their failure.
Call us at (262) 886-9440 to schedule an appointment to know more about crowns.